Monday, December 13, 2010

99 Paintings: DAY 08

Day: 08 "Mutant Rising":
My intent with this piece was to play around with lotsa spindley lines to create a sinewy muscles and wierd wrinkles.  But I discovered something that prevented that.  I used Kilz, a primer for home use to prime my masonite boards instead of Gesso because it was already thin enough to brush on smoothly and didn't need sanding after 2 coats.  It works fine, but it's pretty absorbant.  I usually coat my boards with a flat color of acrylic paint so I'm not painting on white, but I didn't for this piece and the primer was too absorbant for me to work the paint the way I intended.  The piece still came out cool, but in a different way.  I learned something about my process though: if I want to do the slippery paint, sinewy effect, I need to coat the primed board with acrylic or clear medium first.

No comments:

Post a Comment