Sunday, December 12, 2010

99 Paintings: DAY 07

Day: 07 "Screamin' Greenie":
I was working on a painting not too long ago with lotsa greens and since then I've wanted to do a green version of the screaming skull.  I like the color palette and how the jawbone fades to black.

I did a red one about a year and a half ago (which I used in the 99 Paintings Logo).  That 4 in. x 6 in. red skull actually kicked off this whole idea in a lot of ways.  I was working on a card painting and had some paint left on the palette and just felt like mushing some paint around.  I hadn't done a painting for myself in quite a while and I just kinda let loose and the piece came out really nice.  I did about 6 more small paintings (all in my Blood Rituals art book) and thought that it could be cool to do a series.  And now I am!

Week 01:  So it's been 7 days of the 99, and I've realized that this process is a lot more time consuming than I thought it would be.  I kept thinking that each painting would take 2 hours and that's not so bad.  But I forgot about prepping the boards, mixing oil paints, doing a sketch, photographing the art, creating the jpegs and webpages, and uploading everything.  Phew!  Plus, I kinda have to stay ahead of things so things have time to dry, like when I mount a sketch with matte medium or for the oil paint to dry so I can varnish the painting before shooting the photo.  I'm still a little frantic with the process and find that I'm just doing a painting each day just to stay on schedule, and not really getting into it yet or trying too many new things.  But I figure I'll get into a groove soon and will have time for all that soon.  I hope.



99 Paintings in 99 Days for $99 Project:  Tom Baxa has challenged himself to do a painting a day for 99 consecutive days and post them on BaxaArt.com and his Deadspeak blog.  Each 8x10 painting will be sold for $99, and prints for $9.99.  Baxa will be exploring different subject matters and mediums, including digital, and experimenting with artistic expression.



No comments:

Post a Comment