Friday, December 17, 2010

99 Paintings: DAY 12

Day: 12 "Weep": 
Some days I'm very excited to paint, and other days it's like pulling teeth.  This was one of those tough days; in fact, I almost didn't paint at all.  But I did.  I tried to do something quick, but it still took 2 hours.  I painted with very thin paint and allowed it to dip in a somewhat controlled manner.  The technique can yeild some interesting results, but I felt the figure was a little weak on this one - I should have used some reference.  Next time :)

I thought I'd post some pictures of my painting table, etc.  First is my drawing table with the Grumbacher MAX paints I use and my palette.  You probably can't tell this in the works, but I've been using basically these colors on a lot of the paintings.
I used to put my oil paints propped on the open oven door to dry them overnight when I had a job due.  I would go to bed and close the door so the fumes wouldn't kill me in the night.  It was effective, but needless to say, not a good idea.  I learned this from another artist and use it instead - 4 $8 clamp lights with 150w spotlight bulbs in them.  I made the stand myself with legs on hinges so it can be a bit more portable for storing.  It gives off enough low heat to dry the paintings.
 And here's a stack of the 8x10 masonite boards for the project.  And that's not even all of them - it's about 80.  Pretty dang intimidating - but also cool to think that I'm going to cover every one of them!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for showing the behind the scenes stuff. :) its good to see how other people work, what kind of palette they use, etc.

    ReplyDelete